It is the philosophy of Dickinson Independent School District’s (DISD) Bilingual/ESL program that each English Language Learner (ELL) will master the rigorous academic content required of all DISD students while transitioning as quickly as possible to proficiency in the English language.
Dickinson ISD will promote a consistent district-wide educational program that focuses on meeting the individual needs of students through a challenging affective, cognitive, and linguistic curriculum. Classroom instruction will focus on transitioning student to the English language as quickly as possible. Education services support will focus on the content and delivery of an effective program.
The DISD Bilingual/ESL program will:
- Provide challenging instruction at an appropriate level of difficulty for each student;
- Promote bi-literacy with an ultimate goal that each student will become a confident learner in the English language curriculum;
- Ensure mastery of the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS);
- Ensure proficiency in the areas of :
2. Speaking (including aligned vocabulary development);
- Encourage parental support and involvement;
- Help students understand and appreciate culture and heritage while accepting the importance of collaboration of different cultures,
- Forster self-esteem;
- Provide opportunities for social interaction in bilingual and monolingual English language settings;
- Transition student as quickly as possible from bilingual classes to English language instructional classes.
With the support of our district-wide staff, our parents, and the community, the Dickinson Independent School District’s Bilingual/ESL department will continuously improve the academic and social experiences of all students served through our English Language Learner(ELL) programs, offerings and services.