Home | Sitemap | Contact Us | Translate
Dickinson school nurses and clinic staff are proud to be a part of your child’s education. Success in school is directly related to the good health and emotional well-being of each student. While we understand the primary responsibility for the care of children lies with parents, the clinic staff in DISD are here to assist and support each parent’s efforts to maintain good health in their children. It is our goal to educate each child, beginning in elementary school, to take control of their own health care management so they can grow up to be strong and independent.
What does a school nurse do? In accordance with TX Department of Education protocols and schedules, school nurses conduct height, weight, blood pressure, vision, hearing, and scoliosis screening of our children, and notify parents and guardians of any abnormalities found.
In addition, the school nurses promote and maintain optimal student health by:
• Providing first aid and arranging for assessment and assistance to a child who becomes ill or injured at school or is demonstrating a significant change in behavior, whether due to a physical or social/emotional cause;
• Communicating with parents and guardians when further medical care or attention may be needed and making referrals as appropriate;
• Supporting the health curriculum by teaching health lessons to students and/or serving as a resource to classroom teachers;
• Educating the school staff about health matters that affect students and/or staff;
• Collaborating with other school professionals, parents/guardians and the student's health care team, as needed, to foster maximal student success.
• Providing health counseling to students as needed on an ongoing basis.
These are just a few of the things that we do to ensure your child is healthy and successful in school.
Immunizations required for public school: in English and Spanish
Galveston County Health Department offers vaccinations including the influenza vaccine.
Variety of services and have discounted rates for eligible uninsured and under-insured residents:
School Nurses Page
Get In Touch
Copyright © 2016 - Dickinson Independent School District
powered by ezTaskTitanium TM