The Grant Director seeks to ensure that each district activity supported through special revenue meets the intent of the funding source and is in full compliance with all applicable policies and regulations. The Grant Director will assist district administrators and employees in successfully seeking, obtaining and administering grants for the benefit of staff and students.
The Dickinson ISD Grant Director manages several federal/state programs in collaboration with district administrators and teachers. Funding for many grant programs are authorized by No Child Left Behind. These funds flow from the U.S. Department of Education through the Texas Education Agency.
Grant Office Goals
- Research possible funding sources for the district.
- Coordinate, facilitate/write, and submit funding proposals for Dickinson ISD.
- Disseminate information on funding opportunities to Dickinson ISD employees.
- Supervise and monitor the implementation of district grants including budget and activities.
- Represent Dickinson ISD in contacting and negotiating grants with the Texas Education Agency.
- Provide grant writing training workshops for teachers when requested.
While Dickinson ISD encourages and supports individual, campus and departmental grant writing initiatives, the district asks that all applications and proposals be submitted to the district Grant Director for review and approval. These procedures are in place to ensure fiscal responsibility and quality implementation upon being funded.
The decision to prepare and submit a grant application must be based upon alignment with district/campus goals and compatibility with other initiatives. Although the majority of district grants are written or facilitated by the district Grant Director, other departments and individuals within the district may prepare grant applications.
The Grant Director is to be advised of all grant applications impacting the district regardless of the dollar amount or funding agency. This is to be done as soon as a decision is made to consider applying for a grant.
It is the responsibility of the district Grant Director to maintain hard copies of all district grant applications and award letters. Individuals who prepare grant applications must forward copies of all applications to the district Grant Director.
Grant Writing Procedures
- The first step is to have a specific idea or project that needs to be funded.
- Notify your principal/supervisor of the grant you are planning to apply for.
- Notify district Grant Director about your intent to apply for a grant.
- Contact Grant Director for technical assistance if needed.
- If grant is awarded, send copy of grant application and award letter to the district Grant Director.
Texas Title 1 Priority Schools Grants (DHS) - $3,600,000
Life Skills Program for Student Parents (DHS) - $26,549
Texas Support for Homeless Education Grant (District)- $23,380
Student Success Initiative Grant - $58,855
Enjoy Texas Music Grant - $1,440
AARA Title XIV State Fiscal Stabilization Grant (Stimulus)- $2,439,330
NCLB Federal AARA (Title Funds) Grant (Stimulus)- $633,610
Special Education AARA/ Stimulus Grant (Stimulus)- $904,565
Dickinson ISD Grant Director
Raymond "Pop" Gillis Education Support Center Educational Services Department